If you've been keeping up with our haps you'll know that we're on a zucchini kick. At City Greens these babies end up costing less than $1.50 per pound, and we just want everyone to know what a delicious, versatile food they are. And they're in such abundance in the summer we don't want anyone getting tired of zucchini!
We've already posted a couple zucchini recipes, one for zucchini gratin and another for zucchini parmesan crisps. Well wouldn't you know, it's time for another?!
This recipe is for zucchini pancakes. It's the zucchini bread of the griddle. And this recipe can be jazzed up to fit however you're feeling. Looking for some sweetness? Top like you would with traditional pancakes, and serve with maple syrup or honey. Craving a savory flavor? Try grating some cheese into the batter, mix in spices (oregano, thyme, chives, grated onion, garlic/garlic powder), top with plain Greek yogurt or make a mushroom gravy to pour over them. So many options! This recipe comes to you from AllRecipes.com.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup all-purpose (or wheat) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat grill to 425 to 450 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, add shredded zucchini, and mix well using a fork. Add flour, sugar, salt, and vegetable oil and stir blend well. Finally, add baking powder and mix well using a large spoon. The batter's consistency should be like heavy whipping cream.
- Spoon batter on hot grill (about 2 tablespoons for each pancake). Cook until there are no longer bubbles forming on the pancakes - about 2 minutes. Then turn over and cook for 2 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of AllRecipes.com